As Spring 2020 approaches, Broadway shows are starting to gear up through the end of the winter and into the warm weather! The theater season starts warming up in March and really gets hot in April, as many of the best Broadway shows jockey to open in time to be considered for the Tony Awards.
Between now and then, 18 productions are schedules to open on the Great White Way, including four transfers from recent Off Broadway runs. Here are some shows we’re most excited about in this upcoming play season! From revivals of beloved classics and musicals, to buzzworthy new works, this spring season on Broadway has a little something for everyone!
- West Side Story – Tony Award winning director Ivo van Hove reimagines Stephen Sondheim, Arthur Laurents, Leonard Bernstein, and Jerome Robbins musical about star-crossed lovers divided in a turf war. This reimagined version of a classic musical remains one of our top picks this coming season!
- The Minutes – The denizens of a fictional town in middle America taking part in local Government meetings. Tony winner Anna D. Shapiro directs. Preivews Feb. 25th, opens March 15th at the Cort Theatre!
- Hamilton – The story of forgotten American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton and his ascent out of poverty and to power against the backdrop of the American’s war and plight for Independence – 250+ dates!
- Company – The hit Marianne Elliot-directed Company is en route to Broadway! This version promises to be a bit more leaning on the feminist side, with the tradiotnally male character of Bobby now cast as a woman played by Tony winner Katrina Lenk!
- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – Edward Albee’s Tony-winning play was last on Broadway in 2002, and this new version stars Laurie Metcalf and Rupert Everett so it is sure to be a barn burner! Previews March 3rd, Opens April 9th at the Booth Theatre!
For tickets to any of the other popular Broadway shows in 2020, check out TicketNetwork’s complete collection of tickets here!