Twenty One Pilots has been one of the most talked about music groups in recent months thanks to their popular album, Blurryface, which was released last year, and the album’s hit single, “Stressed Out,” which reached number two on the US Billboard Hot 100. Though the group has quickly skyrocketed in popularity, many facts about them remain a mystery, which is why we decided to ask (and answer) 21 questions about Twenty One Pilots.
1. How Many Members Make up Twenty One Pilots?
Two. Twenty One Pilots was founded by college friends Tyler Joseph, Nick Thomas, and Chris Salih, however Thomas and Salih eventually left the band. Soon after, Josh Dun, former drummer of House of Heroes joined the group.
2. When did Twenty One Pilots Form?
3. Where is Twenty One Pilots From?
The group hails from Columbus, Ohio; however, their major-label debut album, Vessel and its follow-up, Blurryface were recorded in Los Angeles.
4. What’s Up with Twenty One Pilots’ Ski Masks?
The group started wearing ski masks when they were trying to get their big break at local clubs and bars, and figured the masks would help them stick out among the hundreds of groups trying to make it big time. Once Twenty One Pilots finally made a name for themselves, they continued wearing the masks because they wanted to “create something that’s a bit more faceless, that can represent a group of people or have people relate to it.”
5. Is Twenty One Pilots ever stylized as “21 Pilots”?
Nope. But it is often stylized as “twenty one pilots” or “TWENTY ØNE PILØTS”.
6. What Genre of Music does Twenty One Pilots Fall Under?
Their music has been categorized as alternative hip hop, electropop, indie pop, and rock.
7. How Did Twenty One Pilots Decide on the Name “Twenty One Pilots”?
Joseph came up with the group’s name while studying All My Sons, a play by Arthur Miller that focuses on a man who was responsible for the death of 21 pilots during WWII because he knowingly sent them faulty parts for the good of his company. Joseph explained that the story of moral dilemma was the inspiration for the band’s name.
8. How Many Albums Has Twenty One Pilots Released?
Four. Twenty One Pilots and Regional at Best were self-released in 2009 and 2011, respectively. Vessel and Blurryface were released via Fueled by Ramen in 2013 and 2015, respectively.
9. Who Else is Signed to the Same Record Label as Twenty One Pilots?
10. What are Joseph’s and Dun’s Role in Twenty One Pilots?
Joseph serves as the group vocalist and keyboardist, while Dun takes care of percussion.
11. Has Twenty One Pilots Won Any Major Awards?
Yes. Twenty One Pilots have won multiple awards, both at the iHeartRadio Music Awards and the Billboard Music awards, all in 2016.
12. Does Twenty One Pilots Ever Collaborate with Other Groups and Artists?
While TOP has never featured other artists on their albums, the group did tour with Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco in 2013 on the “Save Rock and Roll Tour.” At the 2015 VMAs, Twenty One Pilots teamed up with A$AP Rocky for a high-energy joint performance at the award show.
13. How Many Twenty One Pilots Tracks Have Reached the Billboard Hot 100?
Four. “Stressed Out,” “Ride,” “Tear In My Heart,” and “Fairly Local.”
14. Does Twenty One Pilots Only Incorporate Keyboards and Drums into Their Music?
No, Twenty One Pilots have been known to utilize the keytar, synthesizer, and occasionally the ukulele into their music.
15. Why Does Joseph Have Black Makeup on His Hands and Neck While Performing on Stage and in The “Stressed out” Music Video?
The black makeup represents “Blurryface,” the character the album of the same name is based off of. The makeup represents the suffocating insecurities felt by the character.
16. What is the Highest Their Albums Have Peaked on the Billboard 200?
Number one. Blurryface debuted atop of the Billboard 200 when it hit the chart in June 2015.
17. What is the Meaning Behind Twenty One Pilot’s Logo?
The logo is a familiar one; blue, red, and black lines that are situated in a way that almost make the shape of an “H” or a “K.” But what does it all mean? We’ll never know. Joseph, who created the logo and calls it “the kitchen sink” has stated that although the logo has meaning, he’ll never reveal it.
18. What are Dun and Joseph’s favorite tracks on Blurryface?
Joseph stated that his favorite track to perform is “Lane Boy,” while his favorite song to listen to is “Goner.” Dun’s two favorite tracks on the album are “The Judge” and “Lane Boy.”
19. Who Are Some of Twenty One Pilots Influences?
Neither Joseph nor Dun have named specific influences, but from the sound of their music there are a lot of them.
20. How Does the Group Incorporate All The Sounds At Their Shows with Only Two Members?
Backing tracks. Twenty One Pilots is forced to use extensive backing tapes at their live shows since the band is only a two man crew. Joseph and Dun have stated that they would be open to adding additional members in the future.
21. Has Twenty One Pilots Embarked on any Major Tours?
Yes. Last year, Twenty One Pilots stopped in five countries on their “Blurryface Tour,” which consisted of three legs and 48 total shows. 36 of those shows took place at concert halls and amphitheaters across North America.
Currently, Twenty One Pilots is on the “Emotional Roadshow World Tour.” The tour, hitting large amphitheaters and arenas is making stops in 19 countries across three continents through April 2017.