Horse racing has been around for more than a thousand years, with a history that spans around the world. Secretariat, Citation, Seattle Slew and War Admiral are just some of the famous horses that people remember because of their power and speed and, of course, they had pretty normal names.
That is not really the case for these horses, whose owners maybe thought that they weren’t going to win much on the track, so they might as well make a name for themselves some other way, no matter how ridiculous that name is. In honor of the upcoming Kentucky Derby that will take place on May 7 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY, here are just a few of the funniest names in horse racing history.
1. That’s What She Said: Anybody who watches “The Office” knows this phrase by heart… makes you wonder though, what exactly did she say in this case?
2. Hoof Hearted: The horse was given this name after careful consideration by the owner. Other names considered were Smeltit Dealtit, Denydit Suppl-eye-dit and Sigh Lent But Deadly.
3. Wife Knows Everything/Wife Doesn’t Know (tie): There is no choice but to award these two names a tie, because they truly need either other. As many husbands know, the correct horse won this race.
4. ARRRRRRR: A lot of credit has to go to the owner of this horse, he didn’t want to give his horse just a name, he wanted to give it a noise. Also, the announcer did a great job with the pronunciation.
5. Ya-Ka-Hick-A-Mick-A-Do-La: Sometimes you have to wonder if the person who named this horse’s sole goal was to mess up the announcer. Well sir, job well done.
Honorable Mention: Nosupeforyou, Givemeanothername, Curse Reversed (FYI, I’m a Red Sox fan), OhNoItsMyMotherinLaw
If you know of any other crazy horse names I missed, let me know!